Tuesday 8 September 2009

Cadwell Park

Many people have always said what a great circuit Cadwell Park is, and how perfect it is for hot hatches and kit cars. Time to find out...

Upon arrival, we found out that there were no pit garages. No problem, but a little surprising for a Motorsport Vision venue. There was a massive amount of mist hugging the circuit too. We had a while before the briefing, so we took a walk around the circuit. I couldn't believe how much it felt like being at Centre Parcs. Just trees everywhere, and not a sound anywhere.

Once we got driving we realised the circuit wasn't nearly as worrying as everyone made out, but I can certainly see how it gets its name of the mini-Nurburgring.

There were literally 15 cars doing the whole day, and probably 5 out on circuit it a time. I've never seen such a relaxed track day. We came off the circuit early for lunch, and I even had a 45 minute sleep under the trees where we had lunch. There was just so much time to get out on the circuit, I didn't feel rushed at all (like you would at Brands Hatch say).

The car felt great and suited the circuit really well. We got speaking to another guy in a Caterham race car. Only a 1.6 engine but he was so fast. We wend out and did a session with him, but I was just trying to drive the car too hard and he ended up passing me quite easily. He was a much better driver than he would let on, and I enjoyed lapping with him and taking his advice on techniques etc.

There was also a tannoy announcement for someone who knew about computers as the photographer has a problem. I spent about 1/2 hour helping him out, and as a thank you he gave is a CD of all of the pics he took of us on the day. I'd call than win/win :)

Steve who came with us took a load of videos, so I made a little video of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment